Please click on the Twitter link for the latest sports updates - https://twitter.com/HumberstonSport
PE and Sports Events
All children take part in two hours of Sports each week. This comprises of:
- Mastering running, jumping, throwing and catching in isolation and in combination
- Playing and participating in competitive games such as badminton, basketball, cricket, football, hockey, netball, rounders and tennis.
- Developing flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance through athletics and gymnastics.
- Performing dances using a range of movement patterns.
- Taking part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team.
- Comparing their performances with previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best
In Year 4:
- Swimming competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres.
- Using a range of strokes effectively.
- Performing safe self-rescue in different water-based situations.
Our MUGA has extended the length of time outdoor sports can continue in a safe and enjoyable way and has enabled our Sports Coach to deliver further PE instruction through organised games at lunch time for pupils in KS2.
Many children also attend sports events organised locally such as curling, football, orienteering, athletics, tag rugby and cross-country to name a few. Some of these events are organised primarily for pupils with SEND and others are for those who have qualified through activities in school e.g. time trials in athletics. Where possible, we try to ensure different children represent the school so we are fully inclusive and the opportunity is open to all.
We also have a golf club, which is very popular with children in KS1 and are looking at extending our sports clubs as and when COVID measures allow.